Who is my adviser in the department?

The Government Department recruits and trains a group of highly knowledgeable Concentration Advisers (CAs). We assign a specific CA to each House; this person acts as the official concentration adviser for all Government students who live there. Often the Government CA is also a Resident Tutor, but, if not, the CA will be a Non-resident Tutor with access to the House. To find your adviser, see here.

Whenever you have a question about requirements, course selection, the direction of your program—whatever it might be—please contact your CA. In addition to lifting the hold on your registration each semester, your CA will serve as your primary resource in the Undergraduate Program. While anyone in the Undergraduate Program Office is available to help youwe strongly encourage you to make an effort to meet with your official CA at least twice a semester. Your CA will contact you at the beginning of each semester with information about how to set up a meeting. Each CA can be reached by email, has sign-up office hours, and is waiting to speak with you!

While your house's CA is your primary adviser in the Government Department, there are some forms that can be signed only by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Please use the information below if you have questions about "who signs what."


Approvals Necessary for the Concentration:

  • Registration: Go to your CA.
  • Taking courses at the Kennedy School (or other Harvard schools): Go to the DUS. There is a list of pre-approved HKS courses that you may automatically use for Government elective credit, but you still need to get the signature of the DUS on your cross-registration form in order to use the course for concentration credit and to have the grade counted in your concentration and college GPA.
  • Adding a course from another department to your concentration: There is a list of pre-approved courses cross-listed between the Government department and other departments, and you can enroll in any of those courses for Gov elective credit without prior approval. If you wish to make the case that certain college courses not on that list should count for Government concentration credit, you can petition the DUS by email with 1) a rationale for why you think the course should count, 2) the course description, and 3) the course syllabus. 
  • Joint Concentrations: If you wish to declare a joint concentration, you need approval from the DUS.
  • Study Abroad: If you wish to study abroad and count courses taken there towards your Government concentration, you will need approval from the DUS.
  • Senior Thesis Advisers from other departments: If you wish to have a senior thesis adviser from outside the Government Department, you need to discuss your plans with the DUS.