How to Declare Government

Sophomore Concentration Declarations are due on Thursday, November 14, 2019.

As the deadline for declaring your concentration approaches, those of you thinking about declaring a concentration in Government may be wondering exactly how to do it! It’s an easy 3-step process:

  1. Submit a declaration of concentration request on my.harvard. Directions on how to do that can be found here.
  2. Government will not be using the Registrar’s Plan of Study form. We are using the Government Plan of Study Form. Please download this form and fill it out, or pick up a copy from our office in CGIS K151. To make sure you're including all of the courses you need, reference our Concentration Requirements. If you are interested in the Data Science program, please contact Dr. David Kane for advice. If you are interested in the Tech Science program, please contact Dr. Gabe Katsh for advice.
  3. Meet with a Gov concentration adviser* to review your completed Government Plan of Study form and have it approved and signed. You will submit the hard copy of this Plan of Study to the concentration adviser who signs it, who will then approve your declaration.


*Each House has a concentration adviser specifically assigned to students in that House. Their names and contact information can be found on the Concentration Advisers webpage and are listed below:



Concentration Adviser



Naima Green


Gabe Katsh


Gabe Katsh


Gabe Koehler-Derrick


Yon Soo Park


Harry Oppenheimer


Aaron Watanabe


Sarah James


David Ifkovits


Julie Anne Weaver


Meredith Dost


Aaron Watanabe


Thinking of a Joint Concentration? Please contact Karen Kaletka before you submit your concentration declaration. Government has a petition process for joint concentrations and does not allow sophomores to declare joints with Government until the spring term. You must speak with the Government Director of Undergraduate Studies before petitioning for a joint concentration with Gov.


We hope that this information helps you as you explore your options and decide on the concentration that is best for you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the concentration.