Advice for Seniors

Your last year of college is a time to bring together all the skills and knowledge you have gained.  One common way to do that is by undertaking a project that puts what you have learned into practice, such as a senior thesis, a seminar paper, or a project that combines your intellectual and extracurricular interests. Once again, your Concentration Adviser can help you define a project that will be meaningful to you. The second major goal of the year is to plan your next step: life after graduation.

What courses should I take?  Students who have chosen to write a senior thesis all take an individual tutorial with their senior thesis adviser and Gov 99. Gov 99 helps to structure the research and writing process, as well as provide students with opportunities for peer review.

Many seniors who have decided not to write a thesis take one or more Gov 94 seminars in an area of particular interest during the senior year. This is a great way to build on the courses you have taken in Government and to develop a relationship with a faculty member who will be in a position to recommend you to employers or graduate schools.

At the beginning of fall semester, you should check your advising report on my.harvard to see which Gov requirements you have yet to fulfill. You should meet with your Concentration Adviser (CA) to discuss your remaining requirements, but it is your responsibility to make sure that you have fulfilled them. If you do not understand or disagree with the advising report, please email Karen Kaletka, the Manager of Undergraduate Studies, as soon as possible—and before the registration deadline passes.

Planning for the Future: Harvard offers many resources to help you shape your career. We encourage all our students to take advantage of these resources while they are here, as well as after graduation as alumni. Click here to learn more about resources for finding a job, applying to graduate school, and more.